The Board of Directors of the Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives-Manitoba (CCPA-MB) seeks to hire a Director, to start May 1, 2013. The Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives is an independent, non-partisan research institute concerned with issues of social, economic and environmental justice. Founded in 1980, the CCPA is one of Canada’s leading progressive voices in public policy debates. CCPA has a National Office in Ottawa, and provincial offices in British Columbia, Saskatchewan, Ontario, and Nova Scotia, as well as Manitoba.
The successful candidate will have the skills and experience, and the energy and commitment, to provide the organization with the following:
- The leadership and strategic thinking to chart the organization’s future course of activities and to secure our current and future research objectives.
- The management and organizational skills to work cooperatively and successfully with what is currently a five-person staff in a unionized environment, and to oversee a significant and increasingly complex organizational budget.
- The fund-raising skills and experience to supplement our core budget.
- The research experience and skills necessary to:
- manage an active research program with a focus on labour, inequality and poverty, and other social justice issues, and a large, seven-year SSHRC Partnership grant with an inner-city and Aboriginal focus;
- evaluate research proposals;
- identify research opportunities; and
- contribute to writing research proposals.
- A familiarity with community-based participatory research is an advantage. The successful applicant will spend much more of her or his time facilitating, managing and evaluating research, than in conducting her or his own research.
- The ability to work with a wider community, and with a Board of Directors, and the skill and willingness to represent the CCPA-Mb in both the community and the media. This includes the skills necessary to respond quickly and effectively to research-related issues that arise and require an immediate response, and the skills to identify emerging issues of importance to a public policy research institute.
The successful applicant will be energetic and proactive in carrying out these various aspects of the position.
We are a non-profit organization that offers a competitive salary and a strong benefits package.
Candidates are asked to submit a cover letter and CV by email to the attention of:
Wendy Land, Chair of the Board of Directors, CCPA
Shortlisted applicants will be asked to provide letters of recommendation from two referees familiar with their work.
Applications close Friday, December 7th, 2012