The Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives, Manitoba office (CCPA–MB) is an independent, non-partisan research institute concerned with issues of social, economic and environmental justice. Founded in 1980, the CCPA is one of Canada’s leading progressive voices in public policy debates. CCPA has a national office in Ottawa, and provincial offices in British Columbia, Saskatchewan, Ontario, and Nova Scotia, as well as Manitoba.
The CCPA MB is a partner with a broad range of community organizations on the Winnipeg Street Census. We are seeking a researcher to write a short summary of the literature on the root causes of Aboriginal homelessness in Winnipeg. This paper will be included in the Winnipeg Street Census 2015 final report.
Outputs and timelines
The expected output is twofold: a 1,500 word high-level summary of the literature on the root causes of Aboriginal homelessness in Winnipeg and a 750 – 1,000 word summary of local Aboriginal community action/responses to homelessness.
A draft is required by May 31, 2015 with a final draft by June 30, 2015.
- Undertake a brief literature review summarizing research on the root causes of Aboriginal homelessness in Winnipeg. Draft a companion document that summarizes current local Aboriginal community responses to homelessness.
- Meeting with CCPA MB staff and partners from the Winnipeg Street Census, including Aboriginal organizations, to scope out the project and gather information.
- Create a draft for review and incorporate feedback for final draft.
Qualifications and Skills
- Excellent research, writing and communication skills
- Experience conducting literature reviews
- Dedication to research and advocacy toward social and economic justice with expertise in issues facing Indigenous people, homelessness and housing
- Aboriginal ancestry an asset
- Knowledge of Aboriginal traditions and culture an asset
- Undergraduate degree in social sciences preferred
A stipend of $1,500 inclusive of GST.
Please submit a cover letter, CV/ résumé and writing sample by March 23rd, 2015 to Molly McCracken, Director, firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you to all who apply; only those who are selected for an interview will be contacted.